Car seats can be expensive; however, considering that they could mean the difference between life and death, the price tag is worth it. It might be tempting to buy the infant seat when your little one is first born although it may not be the best investment. Children grow fast and often they outgrow something long before it’s worn out. Car seats are no different as each style of seat is made for a certain age so you may buy at least three car seats throughout their childhood, if not more. This is why all in one car seats are ideal.
|Name||Image||Weight (lbs)||Orientation||My Rating|
|Graco 4Ever 4-in-1||22.75 lbs||Rear facing/Forward facing/High back booster/Backless booster||5|
|Evenflo Platinum Symphony LX All-in-One Car Seat||21 lbs||Rear facing/Forward facing/High back booster||4.7|
|Safety 1st Continuum 3-in-1 Car Seat||18.7 lbs||Rear facingForward facing/High back booster||4.6|
|Britax Marathon ClickTight Convertible Car Seat||28.5 lbs||Rear facing/Forward facing||5|
|Diono Radian RXT All-In-One Convertible Car Seat||23 lbs||Rear facing/Forward facing/High back booster||5|
What is an All In One car seat?
- 1 What is an All In One car seat?
- 2 Different Types of Car Seats
- 3 Things to Consider When Choosing All In One Car Seats
- 4 Top All In One Car Seats
- 4.1 Graco 4Ever 4-in-1 Convertible Car Seat
- 4.2 Evenflo Platinum Symphony LX All-in-One Car Seat
- 4.3 Safety 1st Continuum 3-in-1 Car Seat
- 4.4 The Britax Marathon ClickTight Convertible Car Seat
- 4.5 Diono Radian RXT All-In-One Convertible Car Seat, Black Mist
- 5 Which Car Seat is Best for Your Child?
An all in one car seat is a car seat that has a broad range of weight capacity which prevents you from having to purchase multiple car seats throughout your child’s life. Many of them cater to infants and some accommodate older children. Each car seat varies so you may have to purchase an additional car seat if your child is not within the weight range.
Different Types of Car Seats
All in one car seats have a broad weight capacity, so they accommodate a child from their baby years into preschool. A broad weight range means that you can purchase fewer car seats as it will suit your child for a few years at least. All in one car seats can suit almost any child and any family; and they are just as safe as typical car seats, if not safer in some instances.
Typical car seats are designed for a specific age group of a child. Consider the number of car seats parents would typically have to purchase:
- The Peg Perego Primo Viaggio is an infant seat,
- The Evenflo Maestro is a forward facing 5-point-harness booster seat,
- The Evenflo Big Kid AMP is a high back booster suitable for older children and,
- The Graco Backless TurboBooster is a backless booster seat which is appropriate for a child until they are big enough to ride without a car seat.
An all in one car seat prevents multiple car seat purchases.
However, infant seats can accommodate a small newborn while all in one car seats may not work for a newborn. It is the same at the other end as some all in one car seats may have a lower weight capacity and your child may outgrow it sooner than they would a typical car seat. Additionally, infant seats are transportable which means you can leave your sleeping child in the car seat and simply carry the car seat with an all in one car seat, the car seat remains in the car regardless of the age of the child, so you have to remove your child from the car seat when leaving the vehicle. Also, it may not be a smart investment to purchase an all in one car seat if your child is older and approaching the weight limit.
Choosing a car seat is an important decision to make as it protects your child in the event of an accident which could mean life or death. When choosing a car seat, you want to choose one that works for your lifestyle and budget although you also want the safest option to protect your child.
Things to Consider When Choosing All In One Car Seats
Choosing an all in one car seat can feel overwhelming as there are many different options. All of them vary in style, weight capacity and specifications. One important thing to consider is if the car seat will fit in your car. All in one car seats can sometimes be bulkier than typical car seats, so measure your vehicle and compare the dimensions. Also, install it as soon as you get it to verify that it fits.
If you have multiple children, install the car seat with all the car seats in the car so you will know what to expect if you take the whole family somewhere. If your child is very young, check the lowest weight capacity on the car seat as some may not start until ten pounds or more. Most all in one car seats have extended rear facing which means your child can continue to sit in the safest position for longer. Most infant seats go up to 22 pounds maximum weight for rear facing, while all in one seats typically go up to 40 pounds. When purchasing a car seat, these questions and observations are all things to consider before shopping.
Here are two questions you can ask yourself to determine if all in one car seats are suitable for your family’s needs:
- Will you need the car seat to be easily removed to transfer between vehicles?
- Is your small infant below the weight guidelines or is your older child going to outgrow the weight guidelines soon?
If your answers are yes to both questions, then all in one car seats might not be the best option for you.
When buying a car seat, the goal is to get the best car seat available while maintaining your budget and realistic needs. The best all in one car seat is out there, let’s find it together:
Top All In One Car Seats
Graco 4Ever 4-in-1 Convertible Car Seat
The Graco 4Ever 4-in-1 car seat is meant to be the only car seat your child will ever use. The minimum weight starts at a tiny 4 pounds and it extends through the years to hold up to 120 pounds. This Graco all in one car seat can serve your family for several years making the price tag an investment into the future and your child’s safety. This car seat is designed to accommodate a child from infancy and beyond so the seat adjusts as your child grows.
Rear Facing Harness: 4-40 pounds
Forward Facing Harness: 20-65 pounds
High Back Booster: 30-100 pounds
Backless Booster: 40-120 pounds
- Includes the Simply Safe Adjust harness system and 10-position headrest allows you to adjust the harness without having to rethread the car seat.
- The six position seat recline allows you to recline a sleeping baby.
- The InRight LATCH system allows for easy installation.
- Side impact tested.
- Steel reinforced frame provides strength and durability.
- Easy-to-read installation level helps ease installation frustration for rear facing.
- Plush inserts to keep the child comfortable no matter how they are using the seat.
- Two cup holders to keep your child’s drink close at hand.
- At nearly $300, this price tag may be out of reach for some.
- At 24” high and 21.5” wide, this seat may be slightly bulkier than other models in the same category.
Evenflo Platinum Symphony LX All-in-One Car Seat
The evenflo symphony lx all in one car seat is designed for ease of use and the safety of your child. The car seat includes small but important details such as buckle pockets to prevent buckle burns from hot buckles and temperature regulating fabric to make your child more comfortable.
Rear Facing Harness: 5-40 pounds
Forward Facing Harness: 22-65 pounds
High Back Booster: 40-110 pounds
- Infinite Slide harness adjusts to accommodate your growing child.
- Multi-position recline located up front for ease of use.
- Machine washable seat pad.
- Removeable head and body pillow for added comfort.
- Double cup holders so your child can keep their drink close.
- Adjustable headrest that can be pulled upwards as your child grows.
- Quick Connector LATCH allows for installation with just one hand.
- e3 Side Impact Protection guards your child by reducing side impact forces by up to 50%
- This car seat does not convert into a backless booster seat.
- The weight limit goes to only 110 pounds so you may have to purchase an additional car seat for your older child.
Safety 1st Continuum 3-in-1 Car Seat
This budget friendly Safety 1st car seat may be right for you. This seat converts from a rear facing position to a forward facing position and into a high back booster as well. Side impact protection is included and exceeds federal safety standards. This seat is much more affordable than other all in one car seats while still maintaining high standards of safety and quality.
Rear Facing Harness: 5-40 pounds
Forward Facing Harness: 22-50 pounds
High Back Booster: 40-80 pounds
- Side impact protection.
- Harness holders which holds the harness back allowing you to easily place your child in the seat.
- Grow-with-baby pillow for the comfort of your little one.
- QuickFit Harness for easy adjustment of both the harness and headrest in one simple step.
- Three position recline so you can get a better fit for your vehicle.
- IIHS Good Bet Rating for use in booster mode.
- Easy to remove washable and dryer safe seat padding.
- Removable dishwasher-safe cup holder.
- More affordable price compared to other all in one car seats.
- Low weight capacity meaning you will have to purchase a booster seat when your child gets bigger.
- Only comes with one cup holder.
The Britax Marathon ClickTight Convertible Car Seat
This Britax car seat follows along with other car seats of this brand in its devotion to safety. This seat comes installed with SafeCell Impact Absorbing Base, SafeCell Impact Stabilizing Steel Frame, SafeCell Impact Absorbing Tether as well as SafeCell Impact Absorbing Harness. This seat is padded throughout offering your child a cradle of comfort while also maintaining it’s integrity as a safe car seat.
Rear Facing Harness: 5-40 pounds
Forward Facing Harness: 20-65 pounds
- Includes the ClickTight system which allows for simple installation using a seatbelt.
- Includes SafeCell Impact Protection which is an integrated system of safety components that work together to protect your child. Including an Impact Absorbing Base, Tether and Harness, an Impact Stabilizing Steel Frame, and Complete Side Impact Protection.
- Seven position easy recline to adjust for your baby’s comfort as well as accommodate for the size of your seat.
- Plush foam padding throughout the car seat, including the harness, to maximize comfort of your child.
- EZ Buckle System which keeps the straps from getting in your way as you put your child in the car seat.
- Easy to remove cover for cleaning convenience.
- Quick adjust 12-point harness and 2-point buckle allow for growth of the child.
- This seat is not truly an All In One car seat considering that it does not convert into a booster seat for older children.
- Cup holders require a separate purchase.
Diono Radian RXT All-In-One Convertible Car Seat, Black Mist
This all in one car seat has a durable steel frame throughout to make it sturdier. Only 15 inches wide, this seat is ideal if you will have multiple car seats in a row. This seat features aluminum reinforced side walls and head support lined with foam providing excellent side impact protection. A SafeStop energy absorbing harness provides extra protection for children 20 to 40 pounds in the forward-facing position. With a higher weight range for forward facing harness, this allows your child to remain in a five point harness for a longer period of time. The weight limit for booster is 120 pounds making it truly the only car seat you will ever need.
Rear Facing Harness: 5-45 pounds
Forward Facing Harness: 20-80 pounds
Booster: 50-120 pounds
- Full steel frame.
- SuperLATCH system making installation quick and easy.
- You can easily fit three in a row in most mid-sized vehicles.
- Folds flat for travel and is FAA certified.
- Infant body support cushions.
- SafeStop energy absorbing harness.
- 12-position adjustable headrest.
- Rear facing tether capability
- Ten year life from the date of purchase.
- It does not come in prints or designs, only solid colors are available.
Which Car Seat is Best for Your Child?
The answer to that question depends on many things, starting with the age of your child. Also, which accessories do you prefer to come with the car seat? Do you desire to have a car seat that can be easily transferred between vehicles? Is your child approaching the weight limit for one of these car seats but not another? These are all questions to ask when choosing a car seat. Regardless of what you decide, always put safety first before anything else. Your child’s life depends on it.