Best Britax Car Seat For A 3 Year Old
Your busy toddler has grown into a preschooler. They are chatty, curious, and much bigger than they used to be. For this reason, you may be in the market for a new car seat for your three-year-old. Three-year-olds should remain in the five-point-harness for as long as possible and in some cases, the car seat allows for them to remain rear facing too. This safe position should be kept for as long as possible before they move to a booster seat. You may be tempted to transition your three-year-old to the next car seat orientation, however, putting them in a booster prematurely could result in them being seriously injured (or worse) in the event of a car accident.
There are numerous car seat manufacturers that produce car seats. This variety of brands allows you to have a large selection. Each brand has a unique style as well as features available in their car seats. You may like the style or the safety of a specific brand so you prefer to have a car seat of that brand. There are many brands available and you may decide to purchase car seats from the brand that suits your family. One popular brand that is available is Britax.
|Name||Image||Weight (lbs)||Suitability||My Rating|
|Britax Pioneer Combination Harness-2-Booster Car Seat||21 lbs||Forward Facing Harness 25-70 pounds/ High Back Booster 40-110 pounds||4.8|
|Britax USA Marathon ClickTight Convertible Car Seat||28.5 lbs||Rear facing 5-40 lbs/Forward facing 20-65 lbs||5|
|Britax B Safe 35 Infant Seat||19 lbs||Rear Facing: 4-35 lbs||4.7|
|Britax G1.1 Frontier Clicktight Combination Harness-2-Booster Car Seat||24.9 lbs||Forward facing harness 25-90 lbs/Booster 40-120 lbs||4.7|
What is Britax?
- 1 What is Britax?
- 2 What Style of Car Seats Does Britax Make?
- 3 What is ClickTight?
- 4 What Seat Would My Three-Year-Old Need?
- 5 Things to Consider When Choosing a Britax Car Seat
- 6 Top Britax Car Seat Reviews
- 6.1 Britax Pioneer Combination Harness-2-Booster Car Seat
- 6.2 Britax USA Marathon ClickTight Convertible Car Seat
- 6.3 Britax B Safe 35 Infant Seat
- 6.4 Britax G1.1 Frontier Clicktight Combination Harness-2-Booster Car Seat
- 7 Conclusion
Britax is a manufacturer of baby products such as car seats and strollers. With the mission: “To be the leader and innovator that inspires and enables families to travel safely and grow with peace of mind,” this brand is sure to have safe car seats available for your child.
The company boasts that they are the “#1 brand in safety technology.” The company also claims that they raise the bar for rear facing safety with “anti-rebound technology” that reduces the risk of injury by keeping your child’s seat stable and secure. Their seats also include SafeCell Impact Protection which is an “integrated system of safety components that test beyond federal standards.”
What Style of Car Seats Does Britax Make?
Britax manufactures many car seats. For infants, Britax has multiple infant car seats. Most have the weight range of 4-35 pounds. This age range is typically from newborn to about three years old.
Another style of car seat that they offer is convertible car seats. These car seats convert from rear facing infant car seats to forward facing five-point-harness car seats. This style car seat caters to both infants weighing at least 5 pounds to preschoolers weighing up to 65 pounds.
Britax also manufactures booster seats which are appropriate for children weighing 25-120 pounds. While your three-year-old is technically big enough to ride in a booster seat, it is preferred that they remain in the forward facing five-point-harness position for as long as their car seat allows as that position is safer than a booster seat.
What is ClickTight?
ClickTight is a method of installation that is unique to Britax. Most of their car seats include this feature. ClickTight means that the seat of the car seat lifts up which allows a seat belt to be threaded through the bottom of the seat. This method of installation is can be easier than the LATCH system and ensures that the seat is properly installed every time. Due to this method of installation, many Britax seats do not include LATCH connectors. Instead, the vehicle seat belt is used.
What Seat Would My Three-Year-Old Need?
The Britax brand sells infant seats, convertible car seats, and booster seats. The average weight of a three-year-old is between 28.4 pounds and 34.3 pounds. According to the Britax website, a child of this size would still fit in an infant seat if they are less than 32 inches tall. While they could remain in an infant seat, purchasing a new infant seat may not be the best choice considering that they would outgrow the seat once they’ve reached 35 pounds.
A better choice for a three-year-old is a convertible car seat which would allow them to remain rear facing for longer. Some Britax convertible car seats allow rear facing up to 40 pounds which means your three-year-old could remain rear facing for longer when compared to an infant seat. A convertible seat also means that once your child outgrows rear facing, the seat can be flipped around for the forward facing five-point-harness position.
Things to Consider When Choosing a Britax Car Seat
The first thing to consider is the weight of your child as this will dictate which style of car seat your purchase. The weight of a three-year-old can vary depending on the frame and height of the child; so it’s important that you weigh them on a scale to get an accurate measurement. Once you have your child weighed, also measure their height. Have them stand against a wall, draw a line at the top of their head, then measure the length from the line to the floor. Their height also dictates which car seat you should buy as your child may be within the weight limit of a seat style, but they may be too tall.
Another thing to consider is the accessories and features you want in a car seat. Do you want cup holders? Do you want the ClickTight method of installation? Would you prefer to purchase an infant seat or a convertible? Will you be transitioning your three-year-old to a booster seat instead? With the weight and height of your child in mind, you should ask yourself these questions which will help narrow down your choices. Once you have narrowed down your choices, it is important to compare the features and options of the Britax car seats. Here are some of the available Britax seats that would accommodate your three-year-old.
Top Britax Car Seat Reviews
Britax Pioneer Combination Harness-2-Booster Car Seat
As a five-point-harness booster seat, this Britax booster seat will cater to your three-year-old and beyond. This convertible booster seat works as a toddler booster seat with five-point-harness from 25-70 pounds as well as a high back booster seat from 40-110 pounds. The broad weight range means that your child can remain in the safest position possible for longer.
Forward Facing Harness: 25-70 pounds
High Back Booster: 40-110 pounds
- With a broad weight range, your child can remain in the harness for longer before transitioning to using this seat as a booster seat.
- The weight limit for booster use is 110 pounds while many other seats only go up to 100 which means your child can remain in this booster for longer than other available seats.
- When transitioning to booster mode, the harness easily tucks into the interior of the seat preventing you from having to unthread the straps.
- The seat comes with two strong layers of side energy absorption.
- An easy-adjust 9-position headrest grows with your child.
- This seat does not include the ClickTight installation method.
Britax USA Marathon ClickTight Convertible Car Seat
This 2-in-1 seat converts from an infant seat to a forward facing five-point-harness orientation. This seat includes ClickTight technology which makes installation fast, easy, and safe. This seat includes a QuickAdjust 12 position harness as well as a 2 position buckle so the seat grows with your child.
Rear Facing: 5-40 pounds
Forward Facing: 20-65 pounds
- With a high weight limit for rear facing, this seat will allow your three-year-old to remain rear facing for longer than an infant seat.
- This seat comes with ClickTight technology which is unique to Britax.
- This seat meets or exceeds all federal safety standards.
- An adjustable harness and buckle allows the seat to grow with your child.
- This seat includes SafeCell Impact Protection which includes a steel frame, energy-absorbing base, V-shaped tether and staged-released stitches that reduce forward movement during a crash.
- At 28.5 pounds, this is one of the heaviest Britax seats and the weight may make it difficult to transfer between vehicles.
Britax B Safe 35 Infant Seat
This rear facing infant car seat is compatible with any Britax stroller. This gives you the convenience of moving a sleeping three-year-old to a stroller so you don’t have to carry them around. With an impact-stabilizing steel frame, this seat is sure to give your child a safe ride. This seat also comes with a base which can remain in the vehicle and allows you to easily remove the seat with the push of a button.
Rear Facing: 4-35 pounds
- The fact that this seat connects to any Britax stroller means that you can use the seat in the stroller as well as in your vehicle
- This seat includes SafeCell Impact Protection as well as an energy absorbing base giving your child a safe ride in your vehicle.
- An optional newborn padding can be removed which will give your three-year-old a better fit.
- This seat includes LATCH connectors so it can be secured to your vehicle.
- With a weight limit of 35 pounds, your child can remain rear facing for longer when compared to other infant seats of a different brand.
- The weight limit of this seat means that your three-year-old will soon outgrow the seat and you will have to purchase another seat very soon.
Britax G1.1 Frontier Clicktight Combination Harness-2-Booster Car Seat
This convertible car seat transitions from a forward facing five-point-harness car seat to a booster car seat. This could be the last car seat you ever buy. This car seat includes ClickTight technology which makes installation easy and accurate every time it is installed. This seat includes two cup holders which are perfect for your three-year-old’s snacks or a drink. Also included are armrests for the comfort of your child.
Forward Facing Harness: 25-90 pounds
Booster: 40-120 pounds
- This seat as an extremely high weight capacity which means your three-year-old can remain in the five-point-harness for much longer than other available seats. The booster position has a high weight capacity as well which will allow your child to remain in a car seat for much longer than other booster seats.
- With ClickTight technology, the installation of this seat is quick and easy. Transferring the seat between vehicles will be stress-free.
- The quick-adjust harness has 9 different positions which allows the seat to grow with your child.
- This seat also includes optional LATCH connectors so it can be secured to your vehicle.
- This seat converts to a booster seat with a high weight capacity so this could be the last car seat you ever buy.
- At nearly 25 pounds, this seat is heavy and bulky. It may not be the best choice for small vehicles or if used with multiple car seats in a row.
Britax offers some incredible car seats. Most include SafeCell protection as well as ClickTight technology which makes the car seat safe and easy to install. Your three-year-old’s weight likely makes them in between an infant seat and a forward facing five-point-harness seat. It makes sense to put them in a seat that grows along with them rather than putting them in a seat that they are almost too big for. Britax offers a variety of car seats with different options and features. While at first it may feel overwhelming, shopping for a Britax car seat can be simple once you narrow down your choices. Deciding on the style, looking at the features and knowing the pros and cons of a seat can further assist you in your purchase of a Britax car seat. With Britax technology and safety standards, your child is sure to have a safe and comfortable ride in a Britax car seat.
Categorised in: Blog