Best Side by Side Double Strollers of 2016
- 1 What is a Side-by-Side Double Stroller?
- 2 Best Side by Side Double Stroller Reviews
- 3 Which Side by Side Double Stroller Should You Get?
The side-by-side double stroller can become an impeccable tool for families that have two small children as they help you to keep both of them in your sight, while the siblings keep each other company. There are of course tandem strollers that offer similar features in a different setting, but they cannot help create that precious bond between the two siblings like a side-by-side double stroller can. Also, because of their design, side-by-side double strollers provide a more comfortable and steadier ride for your little ones.
|Name||Image||Weight (lbs)||Weight Capacity (lbs)||My Rating|
|Baby Jogger City Mini GT Double Stroller||32.5||50+50||4.9|
|Graco FastAction Fold Duo LX Click Connect Stroller||30.5||50+50||4.7|
|Bob Revolution Flex Duallie Stroller||33.1||50+50||5|
|Baby Jogger 2016 City Mini Double Stroller||26.6||50+50||4.8|
|ZOE XL2 BEST Double Stroller||16||50+50||5|
|UPPAbaby G-Link Double Stroller||24.5||50+50||5|
|Maclaren Twin Triumph Stroller||22||55+55||4.4|
|Chicco Echo Twin Stroller||30.45||40+40||4.3|
|Britax 2016 B-Agile Double Stroller||28||50+50||4.7|
What is a Side-by-Side Double Stroller?
As the name suggests, a side-by-side double stroller has a seating arrangement which puts the two children beside each other in separate seats. Each of the seats usually has its own sun canopy, leg rest, seat belt (harness) and recline system. The side-by-side double is perfect if you have twins, but they can just as easily be used if you have two children that don’t have more than two years in between them. There are many options out there that can even accept a bassinet or two, just in case you want to turn your side-by-side double stroller into a side-by-side double pram for your newborns.
There are different types of side-by-side double strollers and your choice should depend on the kind of lifestyle that you lead. All-terrain strollers are more expensive than regular doubles but these have sturdier builds, have better shock-absorbing capabilities and most importantly, they will allow you to take your kiddies along on adventures off the road.
A side-by-side double jogging stroller on the other hand is built for speed with a fixed front wheel (sometimes) and ample suspension to keep your children comfortable even when you push it fast. The regular side-by-side double on the other hand is meant to provide the city parents with maneuverability and portability more than anything else. They are typically lightweight, as compared to joggers or all-terrains and have just enough suspension to keep your children happy even when you stroll over occasional road bumps or hit a corner.
As you can see, when it comes to choosing a double stroller, side-by-side units are not lacking in features or options. However, you will need to consider your own lifestyle, the age of your children and your budget and match them to the features and the price of the different strollers in order to pick out the best one.
Best Side by Side Double Stroller Reviews
Through hours of research and testing, we have compiled a list of the best side-by-side double strollers to make your job just a bit easier.
Maximum weight capacity: 50 lbs on each of the two seats
Recommended age: Graco doesn’t mention the minimum age limit
The Graco FastAction Duo is a very popular side-by-side double stroller and that is largely due to the fact that it comes loaded with a lot of accessories, right out of the box. Even on its own, the LX Click Connect is a great double stroller for daily usage. It sports big sun canopies, independent and comfortable padded seats and large twin baskets under those seats.
- The FastAction Fold is actually a very fast and easy way to fold the stroller and works flawlessly.
- It has quite a compact design for a side-by-side double; therefore, you can get through tight passages without getting stuck in most cases. On a side note, to check out some of the narrowest side by side double strollers, head on over to this guide I wrote recently.
- It comes with independent seats and independent canopies (with UV 50+ sun visors) that lets you recline each seat individually and extend each canopy separately. This provides individual freedom to each of your children during the stroller rides.
- The swivel front wheel has enough suspension on it to keep your children’s ride smooth and comfortable, at least on city roads.
- There are two big baskets under the seats to accommodate diaper bags and maybe a few grocery items as well.
- If you are looking for a side by side double stroller with car seat capabilities, it is perfectly compatible with all Click Connect infant car seats and can even be loaded up with two of them at once.
- The package includes a number of useful accessories like child cup holders and the infant car seat adapter.
- Strangely, the Duo LX does not support the installation of a snack tray!
- Putting the small pins on the rear wheels while assembling the product can be a bit of a nuisance.
Weight: 32.5 lbs
Maximum weight capacity: 100 lbs with 50 lbs maximum on each seat
Recommended age: Baby Jogger doesn’t mention the minimum age limit
The Baby Jogger 2016 City Mini GT Double is a premium all-terrain stroller that offers a lot of functionality, albeit with a somewhat steep price tag. It comes equipped with independent seats that provide an almost-flat recline for newborn babies, and the independent canopies on top of them are big and have UV 50+ sun visors for complete protection against the sun. There are also the all-terrain wheels with traction, the easy fold and a ton of other things to like about the City Mini GT Double.
- As is the case with all new Baby Jogger strollers, the folding is as simple as lifting the straps and pulling them towards you. It even auto-locks post the folding, which is convenient for transportation.
- The wheels have traction on them to provide you with grip on rough terrain and they never go flat. The four wheel suspension system with lockable front wheels ensures a comfortable ride for your children even when you are out on a country trail with them.
- The adjustable handlebar is a blessing for parents, particularly the tall ones.
- The handbrake is convenient, especially when strolling over slopes.
- It can accept two bassinets and two infant car seats or one of each.
- There are two nice little Velcro peek-a-boo windows on each of the large extendable canopies with UV 50+ sun visors.
- The design is compact enough for a side-by-side double. It can fit through most doorways and can be maneuvered in the city just as well as in the park.
- It’s big and comfortable with padded seats and sufficient leg space. It’s also extremely easy to push, in spite of its size.
- Considering that the Baby Jogger 2016 City Mini GT Double is a premium stroller, it is disappointing to see that the manufacturer includes no accessories within the package.
- Although it isn’t super heavy, moms may find it a bit hard to get it in and out of the trunk regularly.
Weight: 33.1 lbs
Maximum weight capacity: 100 lbs with 50 lbs maximum for each of the two seats
Recommended age: The child must be at least 8 weeks old before he/she is fit to ride in the stroller seat
BOB is a popular brand that’s famous for making hardy all-terrain strollers and joggers. The 2016 Revolution Flex Duallie is one of the best products in BOB’s arsenal and it doubles as both an all-terrain and a side-by-side double jogging stroller. It sports a unique adjustable suspension system, complete with air-filled tires and polymer wheels for a comfortable ride across all-terrains. The Flex also comes stocked with ample storage options, UPF 50+ canopies and even a wrist strap for added control while strolling near slopes with your children. While this is technically a double jogging stroller, I like how it can also be used for everyday use given that it’s not too bulky when compared to other double jogging strollers.
- The BOB Revolution Flex is a well-balanced side-by-side double that steers flawlessly and feels very light while pushing.
- The customizable suspension system is excellent and in combination with the air-filled all-terrain tires, it offers a comfortable and smooth ride for your children irrespective of whether you are on a grassy park, gravel road or an off-road trail.
- As soon as you lock the front wheels, it’s fit to withstand the speed of jogging without any problems. Alternately, unlock the front wheel and it swivels to offer maneuverability when you need it.
- Adjustable handlebar with nine-positions makes it suitable to be used by parents of all stature. Tall parents, take note!
- There is just a single big basket under the seats, but it also sports storage pockets at the back of the seat.
- The wrist strap gives you additional control and thus ensures more safety for your children while on a jog. It also doubles as a lock after the stroller is folded.
- The recline of the seats are independent of each other and can be adjusted at the touch of a button to an upright position.
- Fully extendable, large UPF 50+ canopies offer great protection to your little ones against the weather.
- The infant car seat adapter (for the 2016 model) is not easily available right now, but it should be soon.
- No accessories included in spite of a premium price tag.
Weight: 30.45 lbs
Maximum weight capacity: 80 lbs with 40 lbs maximum for each of the two seats
Recommended age: The child must be at least 6 months old before he/she is fit to ride in the stroller seat
The lightweight side-by-side double stroller from Chicco is an affordable option in this category. The double umbrella stroller is easy to push and maneuver around the corners, thanks to a European six-wheel system with three swivel front wheels that are also lockable for stability. The Echo twin is quite a looker, especially due to the embroidered seat pads. What we liked the most about this Chicco side-by-side double stroller was how easy it was to both push and steer, without jeopardizing the comfort of the tiny riders.
- Don’t be fooled by the low price, this is a well-made, sturdy stroller with a strong frame.
- The reclining seats offer four positions for the comfort of your child and each of the seats can be reclined to your choice of position independently.
- The leg rest can be adjusted to any one of the two positions.
- Six wheels provide for a lot of maneuverability and the three swivel wheels in the front can be locked for better stability.
- It weighs just about 30 lbs and sports six wheels; this is why pushing the Chicco Echo Twin is a breeze and the front wheel suspension keeps your babies comfortable all the while.
- The fold is a compact one and that makes it easily portable like an umbrella stroller should be.
- The canopies are small and fail to do a good enough job in protecting the children from the sun.
- There’s a single mesh basket underneath the seat which is far too small for the needs of two children.
- At 30.45 lbs, you would think that it would not feel too heavy, but it does feel heavy at times due to its weight distribution perhaps.
Which Side by Side Double Stroller Should You Get?
I explained earlier that it depends largely on your lifestyle, so go for the Revolution Flex Duallie if you love the outdoors and jogging because this BOB stroller is one of the best all-terrain side-by-side double joggers available. If you want a double that can keep your children comfy while you are at the mall, on the sidewalk or on a trip to the local zoo, the Chicco Echo Twin won’t let you down. The Baby Jogger City Mini GT double is the stroller that you want if you are looking for a premium all-purpose product that your children will love to ride in. It is an all-terrain unit, but it is also one of the best urban strollers around. The Graco FastAction Duo on the other hand, comes in a more complete package that’s full of accessories. I would recommend it particularly if you are looking for an urban side-by-side double stroller with car seat(s), due to its Click Connect adaptability.
Now onto you, which side by side double stroller do you own or which one did you like the most?
Categorised in: Blog